I try to engage Leo in conversation when he gets home about what he's done at school that day. His usual answer is "I don't know" (which I think really translates as "I don't remember"), so I try to draw him out with ridiculous questions. So here's yesterday's exchange:
Me: Leo, what did you do at school today?
Leo: I don't know.
Me: Did you milk a cow?
Leo: No.
Me: Did you feed a giraffe?
Leo: No.
Me: Really? (Like this is something you might normally do on a given Tuesday) Why not?
Leo: Because giraffes are too tall to fit in my school!
1 comment:
Just an observation...
When adults ask each other what they did all day, or how their days went, the response is almost always, "Not much", or "o.k."
The only people who seem to ask and expect a detailed response to the question, "What did you do all day?" are parents asking their children, and crime investigators asking possible perpetrators...
I know this has nothing to do with the price of tea in China, but that exchange just made me think about it. Perhaps our children from little on listen to their partents' end-of-the-day exchances w/ each other, and respond in the same way when questioned by their parents.
Who else, but granny m would not only think of these things, but would put them out there for all to see and chuckle at...
Post a Comment