Thursday, December 29, 2005

My apologies to Alan Jay and Frederick....

Lerner and Loewe, that is.

I've used a few lines of this on occasion, trying to convince Leo to go to sleep during the middle of the day, but I don't remember the original tune well enough to have done the whole thing yet.

"It's Nap Time for Little Boys"
(to be sung to the tune of "Thank Heaven for Little Girls", from Gigi)

It’s nap time for little boys
For little boys must take long naps to grow.

It’s nap time for little boys
Sleep two or three hours in a row

Your tummy time contributes to your crankies
Your play with rattles can make papa for his hankies

It’s nap time for little boys
It’s nap time, go to sleep
Your wet diaper will wake you soon
You’ll cry for us to hold you tight ‘til noon

It’s nap time... It’s nap time
It’s nap time for little boys.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's nap time for little boys
For little boys must take long naps to grow.

It's nap time for little boys
they sleep at most three hours in a row

Your tummy time leads to a cranky feeling
Your rattle play makes papa pray for eardrum healing

It's nap time for little boys
It's nap time, off to sleep
we know you'll wake up all too soon
one weekend day, please sleep in 'til noon

It's nap time... It’s nap time
It's nap time for little boys.

(A little closer to the rhythm, at least)

Unknown said...

You're right that it's closer to the original rhythm, although I'll stick with my original 3rd and 4th lines. When I've messed with this, it's been as a pseudo-lullaby rather than as a description.

I'm not surprised that I had problems in the middle section, since it's been a very long time since I've actually heard the entire song.