Monday, January 29, 2007

...the rest of the story

So, Saturday's story continues. At about 10:30am we noticed that Leo seemed a bit warm--102.5. Not alarming, so we gave him some Tylenol. He seemed liked he'd rather nap than have lunch, so we put him down for a nap at 10:45am and he woke up at about 1pm. We offered him some lunch but he wasn't so interested. He sat with me for awhile, and still seemed really warm, so at about 2:30pm we took his temperature again and it was 104.8. Ok--it's not supposed to go UP after you give Tylenol. He was very quiet and flushed. We called the nurse line and eventually the doctor on call recommended we take him to the ER. So, we went to the ER at about 3:30pm and were there until about 5:30pm--he has bronchitis and an ear infection. They gave him Motrin as well to help bring the fever down, but when we left he was still at 104.7. After we picked up the antibiotics prescription and some dinner for us, we went home and Leo had some toast and applesauce and then went to sleep around 7pm. Jeff woke him up around 9pm for another dose of Motrin, and he didn't want to go back to sleep. I had gone to bed around 8pm (I'm still sick), but Jeff came in with Leo around 10pm and Leo promptly puked all over our comforter and the floor. Luckily it was just the comforter and not the sheets. We got everything cleaned up and that Leo slept some more, but then the rest of the details are fuzzy. I remember getting ready to sleep out in the living room chair with Leo around 3:30am, but he fell asleep right away and let me put him in his crib, so I went back to bed.

By Sunday morning Leo was mostly back to his old self--no more fever and happy. His appetite isn't back to normal yet, but that will happen soon I'm sure.

Maybe the ear infection explains all of the early morning wakings--although he hadn't seemed ill. I was surprised to hear about the bronchitis--since he's hardly even coughing. The ER wasn't all that bad--but I'd rather not have to go back any time soon!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think high fevers like that are scary! Glad he's recovered so quickly. And yep, I bet his early-morning wakings were related to ears...