Saturday, May 19, 2007

ramblings

In no particular order....

Kirstin & I have both been fighting some kind of sinus thing since before she left for her interview at School B. I think we're both over them, though she sounds better than I do at the moment. It's punctuated many of our nights with alternate batches of wakefulness, so we've both been running on emptier-than-usual.

While she was gone, she also got a call from School C asking her to come on-site for an interview. No date set yet, but they were talking about the last week of May or the first week of June.

Yesterday, she helped me out with an introduction to ballroom dance for the annual Arts Day event at Kestrel Heights. Two sessions of about an hour each; each had about 15 or so kids. I think most of the people involved had a good time, although it gave me a chance to realize both how out of practice we are as a couple and how long it's been since I've had to help teach somebody how to dance. It was also my first time in the driver's chair for something like that. (For those who don't know, my first three semesters at the University of Delaware were spent as part of the ballroom dance team... which happened by accident while I was trying to be a journalist for the honors program newsletter. It's a long story, which I'll privately tell anybody who wants to know.) Still, I didn't look like too much of an idiot.

Leo's been scratched twice by some other part-time kid at day care in the last two weeks. They haven't told us who it was, and we haven't asked... although if it happens again next week, I might start asking what, if anything, they plan to do with the part-time kid or its parents.

My time on-call for federal jury duty starts on Monday. It had originally been scheduled to begin last week, while Kirstin was at School B, but they were kind enough to bump it. So far, it doesn't look like I have to report to Greensboro this week -- which is good, because the middle school is having its annual End of Grade Tests this week.

An update on Leo's recognizable vocabulary:
  • cake (we learned that he knew this one at a birthday party this afternoon)
  • bubbles
  • glasses
  • Ernie
  • Elmo
  • knee
  • head
  • bear (and he knows the sign for it, too)
  • mouse
  • outside
  • moose (and he can spot the Elusive Moose every time)
  • and, maybe, Oscar -- I thought he said it this morning, but when he and I were looking at Oscar's Book this evening, I didn't hear it.

No comments: