Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Adventures (warning colorful post-not for the weak-stomached)

I don't even know where to start, so maybe I'll start at the end (now) and work back to the last post.

Today we got back from a 4-day-accidentally-turned-into-a-five-day trip up to Wausau WI to see my Mom and stepdad. The trip up Friday night was uneventful--Jeff picked up Leo from school and then they picked me up from work at about 3pm and we left from there, arriving in Wausau just before 10pm. The only way we could get Leo back to sleep after having been asleep in the car was to take him into bed with us. Things started to get interesting when Leo woke at some point (I don't remember when) [ed. note from JD: at 11:38, after we'd gotten into bed just after 10:00] and puked all over us. He seemed fine right after and was rather cheerful with his "oops"es. We all got cleaned up and went back to bed. Fast forward one hour, repeat. Fast forward another hour and a half, repeat again--although by this point Leo is not so cheerful and barely awake as we clean him (and us) up. He doesn't seem to have a fever, so while we're concerned we aren't alarmed. We all go back to some semblance of sleep and when we wake in the morning it seems if everyone is well.

Saturday Leo is in good spirits although he has no appetite and a bit of a fever in the afternoon. He takes a good nap and all seems well. We celebrate early birthdays (mine's on the 17th and Leo's on the 26th) with a cake and Leo enjoyed picking individual sprinkles out of the frosting.
Saturday night Leo pukes once, minor at that, but does not repeat.

Sunday afternoon Jeff starts to feel queasy and spends quite awhile dry heaving and then having all sorts of fun in the bathroom for the various reasons stomach bugs cause at both ends. He's banished to the couch at bedtime so that he doesn't wake Leo and I up with his frequent trips to the bathroom. By late Sunday evening I'm also feeling queasy, but go to bed with the hopes that it's all power of suggestion. Alas, in one spectacular swoop I am proven wrong (no dry heaves for me thanks).

All of Monday (the day we were going to return to IL) sees me in the bathroom frequently--who knew the GI tract could hold so much?! My mom, who has patiently been doing laundry and other cleaning behind us, starts to make comments about it being like following behind the elephants at the circus. Thanks mom. There is no way we can make a 7 hour car trip Monday, so we make various phone calls to work and daycare.

Tuesday (today) Jeff and Leo awoke feeling much better and I was still pretty run down. But, we had to get back to IL, so we left Wausau at 9am and got back to IL at 4pm. the trip was uneventful except that Leo did not nap. He was, however, very well behaved the entire trip, including today. While we were gone our new table and chairs were delivered, and we Jeff put them together while I unpacked and entertained Leo.

In other news...Leo now officially calls the grandfathers "Bebop." He doesn't seem to have a name for the grandmothers yet, although he often referred to my Mom as Mama (since she's my mama I guess it makes sense).

Two weeks ago Glenn and Carol visited briefly, and fun was had by all. I am however, way too tired to remember details at the moment. I leave Thursday for a three-day conference in Cincinnati, so let's hope all is back to normal. When I get back, I play my first concert with the BACH ensemble on Sunday.

Here are some recent pics.

A Leo and Mama moment after dinner (in IL--see the many unpacked boxes in the background).













Leo preferred to use the booster seat at Grandma's while it was on the floor.












Leo explaining to Grandma that you can see birds! and cars! and dogs! out the window!












Leo and "Bebop" Ervin making fun of Mama for taking pictures. The only meal for which Leo actually used the booster seat in a chair.












Leo was fascinated with all of the pocket doors in Grandma's house and like to combine this interest with his enjoyment of the booster seat.

No comments: