Tuesday, July 01, 2008

A switch is flipped, or And So It Begins

Last night was Leo's first swim class through the Urbana Parks District, except that to call it a class for him is really kind of a stretch. With no insult meant to the teenagers "in charge," there really wasn't anybody who seemed to have a clear idea what they were doing. To compound it, Leo spent the entire class playing by himself, because he screamed when I tried to physically haul/carry him near where the rest of the class was, and went back to doing his own thing as soon as I put him down.

Since I got home on Friday night, he's been going to bed later & later. I can't entirely blame the big boy bed, since it started before, but we'll get him in bed and 15 minutes or so later he'll be calling for us and wanting more rockings, or for one of us to snuggle with him, or something else. It's really quite exasperating, and is also making it nearly impossible to get anything done in the evenings.

The post title comes because in the last couple days, we have started getting the whys. For example, tonight while I was cooking dinner:

L: "Where broccoli come from?"
J: "We bought it at the store."
L: "Why buy it at (the) store?"
J: "Because we wanted to eat it."
L: "Why want eat it?"
K: "Because it has lots of vitamins."

It's not the only exchange like that recently, but it's the one I can reconstruct the most thoroughly.

We all hit Chicago this weekend to visit most of my father's side of the family, although I need to call my stepsister tomorrow to see whether they're free Saturday afternoon. (I was going to call after my Tae Kwon Do class tonight, but it didn't happen.)

Speaking of Tae Kwon Do, I test for yellow belt on July 12. I'll let you know how it goes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ok, I'm sure you know this, but the Super Nanny strategy for bed time is this:

* Put child to bed with last hugs/kisses, say good night. Close the door and leave.
* Don't respond to calls from child inside room.
* If child leaves the bed and comes into another room, don't speak to the child, just take him back to bed. **Don't say anything.**
* Repeat as necessary until child stays in bed. Stay calm.

The key is apparently saying nothing else to the child after the final goodnight. Just keep putting him gently/firmly in bed. Remaining silent is the hardest part for the parent to do.

Of course, I can suggest this as I have no children and can therefore spend time watching Super Nanny on television. :)
--heidi--