I've tried keeping us busy while we've both been at home. Sunday we got up early enough to drop Kirstin at the airport sometime around 7:15 or so. We went grocery shopping immediately thereafter, then had to burn most of an hour at home because Barnes & Noble wasn't open yet and we were going to play trains. (Background: we tried going in Wausau while Kirstin and her mom were ate TJ Maxx, but the train table there had recently been broken and removed from the store.) We stayed at B&N for somewhere between an hour and an hour and a half, then came home for lunch (which he didn't want to eat) and an early nap (which he wanted to go to right away).
(Still Sunday) He woke up early enough to go to the Prairie Farm's petting zoo. It's only open from 3-5. He alternated between having a blast and being terrified of the goats. If I were almost 3 and I saw goats trying to eat people's shoelaces and the shirts they were wearing, I'd probably be scared, too. I forgot to bring the camera, so no pics, unfortunately. We came home in time to eat dinner before Miss Deanna came over so that I could to to my tae kwon do class through the Urbana Park District.
Monday night was playdate. Leo and Mason ran around the Gentry's front yard while I actually got to talk to Ken & Jeni for the first time in what has felt like forever. (I've missed playdate for the last couple months because my class meets Sunday/Tuesday. We're talking about moving it to Monday permanently in the fall, after we each get back from the relevant vacations.)
Miss Deanna came over an sat with him again while I was at class last night. Tonight, we went to the library after dinner before reading all 7 books that we checked out. (I'll admit that the copy of Casey at the Bat was really for me, since I'd been able to look at it briefly at the bookstore and wanted a closer look.) He count for the summer is somewhere around 75 books read to him, once you account for ones that I've missed in trying to keep the log up. I'm not sure whether that's a record for the little kids or not, but I'm thinking about asking the next time we're at the library.
Although he's in bed, he insisted that I write a post tonight. He was talking about it on the way home from school, although it took me a little bit to work out what he meant.
Speaking of school -- a few changes afoot. First, tomorrow is Miss Katie's last day. (She's been the lead teacher in the toddler room since Miss Deanna left, and was an assistant there since it opened.) She's moving up to Chicago, for reasons not clearly spelled out. (The official answer in the letter home was "to pursue her career in early childhood education." Miss Deanna's stayed in touch with most of the staff, and hinted that being closed to friends/boyfriend had something to do with it.) Second, they've got so many "beginners" (his current room) that the class is about to get split, starting Monday. They're starting to transition things for the move already. Leo will stay with Miss Randi and Miss Carrie, and the younger kids in the room will go with two other teachers. The principal may also be transferring someplace to be closer to friends and family.
We've been putting Xs on the calendar every night just before bedtime to help him count down how many days until mama comes home.
No comments:
Post a Comment