Sunday, December 28, 2008

Daytime at the Museum

Pictures to follow later, although I didn't get to take many.

We've just returned from what's becoming an annual day trip to Indianapolis to meet up with Kirstin's friend Beth from Durham, whose mom lives in Ohio. Like last year, Leo and I went to the Children's Museum. Unlike last year, we didn't get back together with them for lunch, and Leo and I didn't go hang out at the Indianapolis/Marion County Public Library while he took a nap -- mostly because he didn't take one.

We started the morning with him playing in the Fireworks of Glass area, underneath the largest permanent installation of a Dale Chihuly artwork. We went down the slide that's part of their annual Jolly Days Winter Wonderland exhibit, then off to the Dinosphere. The Dinosphere exit leads to the trains (All Aboard!), where he spent far more time than I had interest for running around the tool car that's a part of the permanent installation -- it was backed into the museum in 1975, and the walls were built around it. I had to haul him away to try to get him to the Playscape. Just outside the elevator, there's a decommissioned Indy league race car... where Leo slipped and gave himself a considerable goose egg on his second trip in. After some medical attention, we went to Playscape, where he played until I had to haul him away for lunch.

Following lunch, we went through a temporary exhibit on comic books and superheroes, through the dinosaur/dragon art gallery, and back into the Dinosphere for a second go around. We'd just hit the trains for a second time when Kirstin called to say that they were done with their running around. He was not ready to go. He did, however, sleep for most of the drive home.

What did the girls do while all this was transpiring? Most of their time was spent at Fashion Mall at Keystone Crossing, although the other significant portion of their excursion was to Beads Amore.

Somehow, Leo still has an incredible quantity of energy now. I don't see how, since we woke him up earlier than he's been used to lately, and his nap was short (although late).

Tomorrow, he gets a haircut and goes back to school. Me... I'm looking forward to this summer, when we should be able to see both Harry Potter: The Exhibit at the Museum of Science & Industry in Chicago and head back to the Children's Museum for the Lego Castle Adventure.

No comments: