Friday, December 12, 2008

An unexpected day off

Kirstin got a call from day care yesterday morning, saying that Leo had spent almost two solid hours crying. It took her another hour to get there (one small downfall of using the bus), and he hadn't even presented any symptoms by the time they made it to the pediatrician's office. Our pediatrician happened to be available, so they had a conversation in which they decided that it probably wasn't psychosomatic and connected to the transition anxiety he's been having. However, he did have some tummy troubles when he got home, and enough of them that he and I stayed home today.

Before that, though, his holiday program was last night. To describe it as chaotic is a bit of an understatement, since there were probably 80 2- to 4-year olds who had the various adults trying to herd them onto or off of the stage. Several of them were in meltdown mode (including Leo for more than one stretch), and they got OKs to go back to parents after the class had done its song. Once we got Leo onto the stage, he did OK as long as he had the microphone -- after his class had sung, they brought everybody back for two more songs, and one of the girls in the Pre-K class did a masterful job of shoving Leo out of the way and singing at the top of her lungs and several miles off key right into the microphone afterward. Fortunately, he got back to the mike for a little while after the concert was done and people were eating cake and drinking punch. In the first picture, Leo is busy eyeing the cake and punch while they were getting things set up before the program began.



At Halloween, I missed getting a picture of Leo and the other kid who's the son of a Centennial teacher, so I tried to make up for it last night. Leo wasn't in a particularly cooperative mood.










Here he is at the microphone after the concert was over. It's virtually impossible to hear him over the background noise through the first half, but he comes in clearly starting about halfway through.


This morning, I got to sleep in slightly for me. I didn't push the issues of either what he wanted to do or of getting dressed. Mid-to-late morning, we took the Amish friendship bread starter that we got last week and made the first round of loaves off of it. He then also took a nearly 4-hour nap!

I'm working the ACT tomorrow AM, so Kirstin and Leo are on their own until sometime around 1:30, depending on whether I get a room with or without the writing test. Sunday night, she has the first rehearsal for her upcomign gig with the Baroque Artists of Champaign-Urbana. One more week for me, and then I'm done with finals.

No comments: