Leo is involved here only tangentially, so anybody who's looking for more news or pictures should go away and come back for another post somewhen else.
Thursday was my first day back at work after a 2-week leave. While I was out, I did my best to stay on top of what was happening with my classes, and had attempted to make arrangements for getting assignments in need of grading back to me several times during the interval I was out. I may not have communicated that to the sub clearly in the initial set of instructions. However, I know that I'd left clear instructions on a couple of other things regarding how the class runs on a daily basis.
Needless to say, none of the assignments ever made it home to me, and so I returned to a pile of papers in need of reviewing and/or grading that was quite literally 8" tall. Compounding matters, I have extremely good evidence that one test was given out with some kind of access to the key, as an error in the key has propagated into at least two papers and several students who try to sleep through class wrote papers far better than I believe they are capable of. (Let's just say that one sleeper who has never before broken the 15/50 mark on a test would have been over 40 if I'd finished grading his....)
I haven't decided what do to about this situation, mostly because I'm still rather upset. My opinion of this sub gets even worse when I had all three classes tell me, independently of each other, that the sub spent most of her time sitting at the computer playing Bejeweled and SpongeBob SquarePants. (How she managed to pull that off past the firewalls, I'm not sure.) I can't confirm the class' story, because when I returned, the switch controlling the sockets on that half of the classroom had been turned off -- and the school system has it set so that hard drives reset themselves if the computer is turned off.
Needless to say, I'm not in a good mood right now... and I still have to finish grading that pile and figure out what I'm doing in class next week....
No comments:
Post a Comment