Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Birthday addendum

Happy 4th BD Leo! This year has gone so fast, but so have all of the others. You are still a sweet and happy boy. You mostly use your manners, likely thanking us for making dinner, complimenting us on our clothes/my jewelry, asking how our days were...all things that make me smile. You ask for hugs a lot (although sometimes you are _too busy_ for hugs). You are very excited about your new sibling and frequently have things to say to him/her (Bertie Bott is our nickname).

Lately you've been using a lot of nonsense words--I think just to see if we'll laugh. You'll also append "booty" to anything, and I'm pretty sure you have no idea what it means. You think "Pants" and "Underwear" are funny and gross words and the same time. Not what I expected from your potty humor stage, but I'll take it. You are developing your sense of humor, and like to laugh when everyone else is laughing, even if you're not sure what the joke was. Sometimes you'll just repeat the last thing we said and laugh uproariously.

You have developed a bit of an obstinate side. Yesterday you _did not_ want to go to school and ran away from us when it was time to get dressed and clamped your mouth shut when we tried to brush your teeth. We weren't pleased. When we recounted the story to Aunt Cynthia she said that that wouldn't fly in her house. I said, "good luck with that"! What are we going to do, shove the toothbrush in your mouth? We usually take away something you want (like birthday cake after dinner) to get you to cooperate. You have a chore chart, which sometimes entices you to be good so you can get a smiley face. You get a smiley for each "chore" (brushing teeth, setting the table, etc) and when you get to 20 you get $2. We're going to have to start your own savings account at the bank soon.

You're still having fun at school and have been reading for a few months. You don't know all of the words, but you are getting good at sounding out the ones you don't know. I think you are really proud of yourself and we are proud of you! You've also been taking swimming lessons since this summer and enjoy it a lot. You aren't real comfortable with this thing called floating yet, but you love to kick and splash.

You are a confident, fun-loving, funny, and loving little boy and we love you lots!

Happy birthday Leo,

Mama and Papa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have to say we (Grandpa Ervin and I) really enjoyed the time we got to spend with Leo recently. Just enough time to enjoy a good visit. We found him to be thoroughly delightful (albeit sometimes a real challenge).