Not pictured are the 3 stands of prairie grass randomly placed in the backyard beds, the one hyacinth that came up in a random spot and is done blooming, and the apple tree surrounded by lilies of the valley in the other side yard. So we have some things to work with, but need a lot more! Dandelions do not landscaping make. I have no idea what we want to put in--my criteria are: easy to care for, low stress on the environment (ie don't need a lot of water), color, rabbit resistant, and not too expensive. We haven't talked about building raised beds (which I might want to do in the back yard), or creating better borders (the plastic border has been abused by the lawnmower). The only plant off the top of my head I know I want to incorporate somewhere if possible are hens and chicks.
Friday, May 23, 2008
Herbarium
Even though our yard is quite a bit of a blank slate, there are some things growing. I know what a lot of them are, but not all. Here are some pictures. We are trying to decide what to do for landscaping. I'm happy to pay someone to help design and install it all--cause I have no good ideas.
Next to the front door are some mystery plants. This area had had a trellis and some climbing plant and a lot of overgrown ivy. I took it all out except these--now they look lonely, don't they.
On the other side of our front door are two dwarf lilacs. This one is doing well because it gets sun, the other needs to be moved--maybe to the other side of the door. There is also this other plant that currently has purplish stalks on it. In the background you can see the crabapple tree.
You've seen the japanese maple, lilies of the valley, and columbine before, but wanted to keep the list complete.
By the side of the house we have a ginormous hosta, a fern of some sort, and a somewhat-sad azaela plant (in the corner by the fence).
On the side of the house in front of the fence is a bleeding heart plant. It's a bit shapeless--are they supposed to be pruned do you think?
In the backyard there is a corner filled with day lilies (not blooming yet) and mixed in are these purple things. Any idea what they are? Before they blooomed I thought they were weeds.
Detail on the purple mystery flowers.
In the other corner of the backyard is a pretty empty bed--all that's left are these two and a stand of prarie grass. I think the one on the right is lambsears--what's the one on the left?
Not pictured are the 3 stands of prairie grass randomly placed in the backyard beds, the one hyacinth that came up in a random spot and is done blooming, and the apple tree surrounded by lilies of the valley in the other side yard. So we have some things to work with, but need a lot more! Dandelions do not landscaping make. I have no idea what we want to put in--my criteria are: easy to care for, low stress on the environment (ie don't need a lot of water), color, rabbit resistant, and not too expensive. We haven't talked about building raised beds (which I might want to do in the back yard), or creating better borders (the plastic border has been abused by the lawnmower). The only plant off the top of my head I know I want to incorporate somewhere if possible are hens and chicks.
Not pictured are the 3 stands of prairie grass randomly placed in the backyard beds, the one hyacinth that came up in a random spot and is done blooming, and the apple tree surrounded by lilies of the valley in the other side yard. So we have some things to work with, but need a lot more! Dandelions do not landscaping make. I have no idea what we want to put in--my criteria are: easy to care for, low stress on the environment (ie don't need a lot of water), color, rabbit resistant, and not too expensive. We haven't talked about building raised beds (which I might want to do in the back yard), or creating better borders (the plastic border has been abused by the lawnmower). The only plant off the top of my head I know I want to incorporate somewhere if possible are hens and chicks.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment